Dress Twins - Sew Over It Betty Dress

Saturday 30 August 2014


Hey Guys,

Yes, it's true, I finally finished my Betty Dress! Fitted by Lisa Comfort herself :)


Once I popped the zip in, after the John Lewis Sewing Bee (I didn't get that far on the day!) it ended up being far too big, which is odd, as we had reduced the seam allowance during the fitting because it looked like it would be too small. I'm currently at at the peak of a weight yo-yo so it's not weight loss, so maybe I take in less fabric in a lapped zip than an invisible one?


Never mind, I just had some side seams to redo, and of course a MASSIVE hem. Simples.
So of course it sat on the side for 2 months. 


But I got to it in the end, and that's the most important thing. And I love it! Although I'm still without a hook and eye, but that's not the end of the world.

And it can even be a coccoon :)


(I took a lot of photos. I was starting to get a bit delirious)

I tried the method of running a line of stitching 5/8" from the hem edge before turning up and stitching. I think it worked pretty well. At the very least, it gives a perfect guide for turning up the hem which I'm always grateful for. I only turned the hem up once to begin with and it hasn't bubbled as much after pressing so I'm going to give this method a thumbs up. Only having turned it up once means the overlocking is visible, but I feel like if I go for the the second one it'll end up bubbling much more. Erp, what to do. Thankfully the overlocker thread was white so its not obvious.


I did also add three inches to the intended hem length. What can I say, I love a midi.

The insides are not some of my best work in places, what with being slightly half cut after a wine fueled lunch and sewing maniacally towards the end, but I put in some major effort at the beginning of the day to have the pattern running perfectly down the bodice, and to have the back pieces mirrored. I did also put effort in to make sure there were no unfortunate shapes over the bust apexes. And to be honest, with the bit I wanted running down the centre front, I did actually have to be careful about that! 

I actually achieved a sort of  sweetheart neckline shaping above my bust with the pattern - can you see it too??


I wore this to the JPG exhibit last weekend with a few of the Spoolettes, and this is how I styled it on the day. Mr.G didn't seem to be too enthused about the colour combos but I decided to go ahead with it! I also had a pastel pink jacket (which I forgot to put on for a photo) which I adore, and want to make a million copies of someday.

My clogs are ASOS own brand, and the belt comes from another vintage dress. I would kill to make more self fabric belts, but the kits seem impossible to find (I really want to have a covered buckle). I know of a bunch of companies that will make them for me, but jeepers they are pricey. I can't afford to pay another £15-20 per dress for a belt.

So if anyone knows of any places I can get them, or if anyone in the US spots any (you guys always have the good stuff), I will happily buy them from you!!


I think for the future, I may use a different method of construction for the neckline and facings, as I couldn't get a super clean finish on the straps (not that anyone will ever notice). There's also a bit of gaping in the front neck, but I've been getting that a lot recently (or noticing it at least). Hollow chest perhaps? Or at least in comparison to my bust. 


I'll definitely make this dress again in the future. Its super comfy. This fabric is so lovely to wear as well, unfortunately I sure as hell am not going to be able to afford any more. I even dropped a glob of raspberry jam on it when I was scoffing doughnuts and it just wiped straight off!

God knows where those extra few pounds came from - right?


I know I was complaining about full skirts recently, and I am definitely looking at heading down a slimmer shape soon, but the length of this one really helps with maneuvering about the place. 


And of course the completion of this dress makes us  Lisa and I dress twins!


Till next time!

Emmie x

3 comments :

  1. Gorgeous! The fabric is so pretty, and I love the big skirt. I used a similar heming method on my two circle skirt dresses (I folded the edge over twice though), and found it was easy to do. Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's so pretty emmie! i love you and lisa matching! there's a shop near my work that makes covered buttons. i'll try and pop up there and ask if they do covered buckles too and let you know the price.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty frock. For your hem you could sew a narrow strip of lace over the overlocked edge then hem stitch through the lace. That disguises the overlocked edge and looks so pretty. I find belt buckle kits in op-shops (charity shops) mostly but here in Australia we have a chain called Lincraft that recently had a whole load of belt kits with covered buckles. I stocked up! Lincraft have two tenths of bugger all else for sewers so I was quite exited to stumble across all these belt kits.

    ReplyDelete

I really adore reading your comments :)

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs