Dressing Demure - Ultimate Pencil Skirt from Sew Over It

Sunday 25 January 2015



Hey Guys!

I know, I'm back again so soon. I hope you don't mind?? I just took these photos this morning and couldn't wait to share!

Today I bring you the new Ultimate Pencil Skirt from the lovely Ladies at Sew Over It (god I'm really turning into their fangirl aren't I?). But seriously - Isn't she a beauty...


In the interest of full disclosure, I made this skirt while pattern-testing for the girls, and the gorgeous wool blend was a gift from the girls in order to fulfill this duty. As far as I was concerned, I had no negative comments with regard to the pattern pieces. Not surprising, seen as they have been sewed up a million times in their classes.


As mentioned, the fabric was a 'Claret Honeycomb' patterned wool blend. It was a joy to work with, it pressed so beautifully. And there's still some left if anyone else is in as much love as I am.


But seriously, can you even see a dart in this? Cause I can't.


I love where it hits me below the knee. I sewed up the size 12, and sewed up the seams with a 1cm seam allowance instead of 1.5cm for fear of it being too small with my winter weight, but thankfully that was sufficient and the skirt is nice and comfortable to wear.


I really like the vent. I haven't sewn any kind of back vent before - to be honest, I don't know why but it was one of those irrational fears (and of course, I never got to a pattern that had one included). Thankfully the pattern instructions made sense and it was nice and easy.


Another part of the pattern that I really liked was the way the hem was drafted. The skirt clearly pegs in at the bottom, but the hem allowance kicks out, so that when you turn it up it is the same circumference as the section of the skirt you are hemming it into (as opposed to being too narrow). The only thing is that you may need to decide what length you want your skirt beforehand so that you can adjust the pattern piece to have the intended hem hitting at the right point.


I didn't adjust it, and thankfully I was happy with where it fell! I handstitched the hem watching Sunday morning TV, and the stitched just disappear into it.


I made this to fit in as part of my new 'demure elegance' look for 2015. I had the whole outfit gathered up in my head for these photos and I'm glad it came together the way I had imagined. And I even found matching shoes!


I am kind of enjoying the lack of a waistband too. I wouldn't have initially thought I would have, but the faced high waist is really flattering. 


I definitely have another on the cards. I might even peg it a little more. I love extreme hourglass silhouettes! Which of course the back vent will definitely help with! I kind of forgot to put one in my next make (which will soon be rectified as I won't be able to climb any steps over 4 inches).


At the moment, the pattern is available as part of a kit, with everything you might need included. I can vouch that the Blackwatch tartan wool blend included is really really nice. And of course, who doesn't want to be skirt twins with Lisa :) Of course if you need some more hand holding, they're still running it as a class too.
I really love the way the kit is put together, the packaging is lovely. The only thing I would mention is that the pattern and instructions are loose in the kit box and don't come in a storage sleeve, so you'll need to find something else to put them in.


You can't quite see, but I have a lemon invisible zipper in the back. You can just about see the pull in the photo's of my be-hind. I was sewing this up at Tilly Towers back at the end of November, and I only had a lemon zipper on hand to baste in (to make sure I could get into the skirt). But the girls made me use it for real! I had to do a few runs to get it close enough to be invisible, but I finally succeeded. There will be a new Bernina invisible zip foot under the birthday tree in a few weeks hopefully.

A highlighted Bernina accessory list has been distributed to the necessary parties.


Well there you have it. Nice skirt. Happy Days!

What do you guys think - the pattern you never knew you needed?

Oh, and just as a final little treat for Roisin and Heather B - A Bitchy Resting Face outtake.


DON'T MESS WITH THIS

8 comments :

  1. EMMIE WILL CUT A BITCH.

    I love this. And I love you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy Smokes Emmie, I adore this whole outfit on you and the skirt is just wowsers!!
    You also have a fabulous bitchy resting face, but all the best people do ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's lovely. This shape really suits you. Looking forward to seeing your new demure wardrobe unfold during the year. And yeah! Scarey BRF. .

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a gorgeous skirt Emmie. This look really suits you. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh that's gorgeous! The fabric looks really nice, and what a lovely shape on you. I haven't worn a lot of pencil skirts lately since I'm short and unless they're just the right combo of length and pegging in at the bottom (and most aren't), it looks like I'm wearing a potato sack. I kind of stopped looking to sew one since the last one I made (several years ago now) did just that. Dumpy city. So I may have to get my hands on this pattern to try again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is STUNNING on you Emmie, that colour!! I've got to get some pics of mine soon as I flipping love it too and can't wait to show everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fab, I love it. I wish I could model clothes, I always look very unstylish even in a good garment. Jo x

    ReplyDelete

I really adore reading your comments :)

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs